Re: [MV] HMMWV Starting Problems

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 08:48:13 PDT

"Brandon" <c322348@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I guess that I wasn't clear that the ether was intended as a diagnostic
> tool, not a replacement for a bad controller!
>
> Anyhow, once the truck is warmed up it will start without the ether until it
> cools off again.

Maybe that's why my HMMWV with 19k miles has developed two blown head
gaskets and two cracked cylinder heads during the tail end of the 750
miles that I've driven it? My truck had good glow plugs and
controller, but I saw how the mechanic at the auction yard used ether
to start up balky trucks, and he used way more than was recommended on
this list.

I'll never use the stuff (except maybe on a truck with a designed-in
ether dispenser)... if the truck doesn't start without ether, I'll
*fix* the $@%! truck!

Just hoping my engine block is OK...

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/