Re: [MV] Troop Seats

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 10:49:49 PDT

Eric Kozowski had a good point about coating the oak with West System
Epoxy ( a fine epoxy used on many boats to seal, fill, and laminate wood
and fiberglass in many situations) and then painting with regular good
quality finishes. I have used many gallons of West System on boats and
it is good stuff. Since it is marketed to the Marine industry though, it
tends to be pricey.

In recent years I have found that local specialty stores exist in many
cities which sell some products which are the equivalent of West System
for many uses. In each city I go to the local specialty stores and
describe what I want to acomplish and usually get what I need for much
less than having West System shipped in. Sometimes only West System will
do when using their line of fillers and thickening agents.

I was able to find brushable epoxy for $25/gallon kit. The store also
sold a thinning agent so the first coat I put on was thinned 25%, and
the second seal coat was put on full strength. The place I got mine was
Dewey Supply in Corpus Christi, TX and the stuff was called Epo Bond -
just house brand names. Whatever the name, if you look around you may be
able to find clear, thin epoxy in gallon kits suitable for brushing on
the oak if you ask around in your area.

One other suggestion, coat the end grain of each slat until the stuff
stops soaking in. The ends will be much more porus than the finished runs.

Enjoy!
Mel Miller
M725 X 2