Re: [MV] CARC stripper

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 15:35:08 PDT

>Like I said, try Home Depot. That's where I always get it. Look for the
>product labeled as "Aircraft Stripper." You can also buy Methyl Ethyl Ketone
>(MEK) there (and most other home stores), even though we haven't been able
>to use it at work for 10 years or more. Industrial applications have
>different pollution control requirements than home use.
>
>Actually, I think MEK and Acetone both work for melting many kinds of
>plastic. Not sure that MC works for that.

A thousand apologies. The plastic solvent I was thinking of is ethylene
dichloride. This stuff works very well for plexiglass, abs and such.
Methylene chloride was the 'safer' substitute but as far as I have
experianced it does not work as well. MEK and/or acetone will disolve some
plastics but they do not work at all as far as gluing (welding) them, at
least nothing I have tried. Not sure what your app is but we have MEK at
the shop, have some old TCE also, but we save that for 'special' occations.

So the bottom line is... forget I said anything.

je