Re: [MV] Need manuals and two pin cable for military generator

From: Bryan Rupp (ruppster@alaskalife.net)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 20:55:23 PDT

 I beg to differ about the pins never being live. There is a
two connector socket on both the generator and on the equipment
being powered by the generator. The cable that connects the two
has pins on both ends, not pins on one end and a socket on the
other like a regular extension cord. While common sense would
dictate that you hook one end to the equipment first then
afterwards connect it to the generator before putting the
breaker in the on position, if someone messed up and connected
to the generator first while the breaker was on before making
the connection with the equipment then the exposed pins on the
end of the cable would be live. In the picture of the cable end
that Mark referred to at http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/miscpics/curbside2.jpg
you can see the two pins that would be live if it was only
connected to a running generator. After spending two years as
a unit safety representative when I was in the Air Force you
would be amazed at some of the stupid things that can happen
when live wires are concerned. :-)

Bryan