Re: [MV] Need manuals and two pin cable for military generator

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 17:41:51 PDT

I agree that the two pins pictured at
http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/mispics/curbside2.jpg would be "live" if the
other end of the power cable were connected to a source of power.
However, what I said in my original posting s that these connectors are
constructed so that the INSIDE of the hollow post is the area which is
LIVE and that the OUTSIDE of the HOLLOW pins is INSULATED from the
current carrying inside. That is what gives these connectors their
explosion proof quality.

To get a shock in normal dry conditions from this connector you would
literally have to stick a nail or a thin metal rod into the hollow part
of the pin to contact the conductor in the inside. I hope this makes the
description clearer. Again, if you dropped this cable in a pool of water
when the other end was connected to the generator with the switch being
on you would get shocked.

Electrically Speaking
Mel Miller
M725 X 2