Re: [MV] Need help with 230 volt AC wiring

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 15:04:16 PDT

--- James Shanks <n1vbn@bit-net.com> wrote:
> *This message was transferred with a trial version
> of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
> 4 pins generally means it is 3 phase instead of 1
> phase.
++++++++
Well, maybe,.....

> 3 phase is a slightly different story, total of
> four wires for a plug
> for 220-240 volts you'd have 115 volts on <+> each
> pin for a total of two
> pins, your neutral <-> and your ground.
++++++++++++++
Nah, 240 is usually a delta system, unless its got one
side center tapped for 120. Then you'd have three
hots and a ground, and watch out for the wild leg, it
could also be an open delta. If its a wye system then
you'd have five terminals, three hots, one neutral,
and a ground, more likely to be 277/480 volts or
120/208.

 Note that
> most 3 phase plugs are the
> twistlock type meaning they only are inserted to the
> receptacle one way and
> when inserted they must be twisted to the lock
> position. This prevents
> klutzes like the average homeowner from plugging
> into a 220v3Ph outlet with
> a 115v appliance and wonder why it's going so fast
> (The dryer near blew my
> head off!! Sounded like a Jet!!)
+++++++++++
This won't happen unless he did his own wiring. Which
scares me, but then you should see some of the crap
I've torn out of peoples houses and businesses. Most
houses don't have three phase anyway, only the really
big ones that the rich people own.

> If anyone on the list can explain this better
> than me please have at it
> and no offence will be taken here as I am NOT an
> electrician. I unlike most
> people have just enough knowledge to make me
> semi-dangerous.
++++++++
I am an electrician, don't worry,..... we'll fix it,
when the fire department leaves.

I used to run
> Railroad Trains for a living out of New York City
> and when you qualify on
> Electric Locomotives you have to know how they work
> so you don't stick your
> little pinkies where they don't belong.
+++++++++
I've made the guys who walk on the high iron nervous.
They tell me I'm crazy to put my hands in those hot
panels.

You gonna take this to a real electrician yet?

Joe