Re: [MV] Need help with 230 volt AC wiring

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 14:32:47 PDT

4 pins generally means it is 3 phase instead of 1 phase. 1 phase 115v is the
most common in the U.S. for household use as opposed to the common 220v 1
phase (?) in use in Europe and mostly the rest of the world. Why the higher
voltage outside the U.S.? The higher you go in voltage the lower is the load
(read amps) for a given appliance. Also note you stated it is a 2 HP air
compressor so figure it's a given that not only is it 3 phase but 220-240
volts as well. Here in the U.S. only high demand electrical items use 3
phase as 3 phase reduces the load even further than 220v 1 phase.
    1 phase power is (generally) 2 or 3 wires, 3 for complete safety. One
wire is hot <+>, one wire is neutral <-> and the last wire is the ground
most commonly the roundish plug type pin you see on a 3 pin plug.
    3 phase is a slightly different story, total of four wires for a plug
for 220-240 volts you'd have 115 volts on <+> each pin for a total of two
pins, your neutral <-> and your ground. Note that most 3 phase plugs are the
twistlock type meaning they only are inserted to the receptacle one way and
when inserted they must be twisted to the lock position. This prevents
klutzes like the average homeowner from plugging into a 220v3Ph outlet with
a 115v appliance and wonder why it's going so fast (The dryer near blew my
head off!! Sounded like a Jet!!)
    If anyone on the list can explain this better than me please have at it
and no offence will be taken here as I am NOT an electrician. I unlike most
people have just enough knowledge to make me semi-dangerous. I used to run
Railroad Trains for a living out of New York City and when you qualify on
Electric Locomotives you have to know how they work so you don't stick your
little pinkies where they don't belong.

Waiting for the Wife to give me the OK to buy either an M-151a1 or an
M-185a3

James Shanks
The Line Below is my Ham Radio Callsign
n1vbn@bit-net.com
The line below is my Ham Radio Packet Address
N1VBN @ WB1DSW.NH.USA.NOAM