Re: [MV] M422A1 is home

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 22:49:12 PDT

Tom wrote,
>.......Picked up my new M422A1 this afternoon...
>Missing front bumper, typical "hunting camp" replacement with 2" angle iron
>and a vehicle tow bar on the front. Missing brush guard, skid plate or
>whatever that thing under the front bumper is called. Other than the seats,
>and the front bumper it's all there. Started by pulling down driveway as the
>batteries were dead. Ran quitely and smoothly.

         Very good that it runs.....However.......VERY IMPORTANT.......it
would be a good idea if this motor has been sitting, to take off the heads
and check the condition of the cylinders. They are chrome lined and the
chrome plating has been known to flake off. Then when the motor is run the
chrome flakes get into the crankshaft bearings and tears them up along with
the crank. Cylinders can be had but cranks are nearly impossible to get
and are very $$$$. Takes some time to check this but in the long run may
save you much trouble later.

>Serial number is 1685 - no date of delivery stamped in the data plate - a
>blank spot for it but no date. There is a square out in the acceptance proof
>area, but I can't make out any letter or anything in the square.

        This is normal for most M-422-A1's. I have checked the data plates
of quite a few -A1 Mites and most do not have a date stamped on them.

>Out in the daylight, I can see that the white paint is peeling from the hood
>and there IS Marine corp green under the white. Can't see the outlines of
>any hood number, but I haven't started trying to sand it or anything yet.

          In addition to the numbers on the hood (can be yellow or white)
the number will also be on the tailgate (without spare tire mount) or the
rear bumper (with spare mount). Sand very carefully.....If you lose the
number there's no way to determine what it was (we could come close with a
educated guess).

> No date of delivery and no obvious hood number adds weight to the Post
> Office
>theory.

         Many times when vehicles are surplus the registration numbers were
painted out or sanded off. A lack of numbers is not an indication of the
vehicles former history. If fact, since this is a late Mite I would go out
on a limb and say it was a typical USMC unit that was sold/given surplus to
a civilian agency and not actually delivered to them. I have seen several
Mites that were surplus and given to local fire depts., schools and the like.

>Seller gave me the name and number of the guy he bought it from, a
>business card from a bank. I'll call the previous owner to see if there is
>any more info on this Post Office deal.

          Keep us posted. Perhaps someone will give you a lead on which
Post Office may have used it.

                   Jim

James T. Gilmore
2565 Wiethoff, Inkster Michigan 48141