Re: [MV] M37/M43 speed-up.Heres 3 cheap ways:

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 00:45:27 PDT

Uh puleeeeze!
This was one of the silliest things I've ever read here.

>>I have a friend here with an M-37 that had the dilemma >>most of us face; how
>>to get these trucks moving fast enough and powerful >>enough blah blah blah.....

The M37 was engineered to crawl in the worst of conditions through mud, over rocks, across rivers, etc at a snail's pace. Cope with it. It is NOT a highway truck.

>>made his M-37 a highway driving hill climbing daily >>driver.blah blah....The same hills my M-43 took in 2nd >>gear his took in third at a good clip. He's also >>getting 70 on the highway.

giggle snort...that'll be the day. It's not possible to run a 230 flathead at that rpm for more than a few seconds, assuming one could make it GET to that rpm to start with. You're in small block chevy territory here....NOT Dodge flatheads.

>>Try this: (good grief, disaster always follows!)
>>1.He changed his stock cylinder head with one that had >>a smaller combustion chamber.blah blah blah....

Increasing compression ratio by more than a nominal point or so will result in detonation, which will destroy the engine in short order. This is as silly as the kids who used to attach a string to the governor linkage on their go-karts to go faster...ever see Briggs and Stratton salad? Couple this folly with today's crappola gasoline, which detonates with harsh language, and you will have Dodge salad!

>>2.He has two condensors in the distributor! This >>helped with getting a better spark and made starting >>a breeze.blah blah blah....

His original one was probably kaput. The 230 is known for being an easy starter when it's tuned properly. Mine all start with a hand crank.

>>Take two regular 12 volt condensors and piggyback
>>them together blah blah...

Why 12 volt condensers? The M37 is 24 volts.

>>with the same hookup.Unfortunately you have to drill >>into the distributor face plate and the cap to make >>some room.But for some reason it gets a hotter spark.

Yuh, sparks all over I'll bet! Everywhere but the plugs.
makes sense though....butcher a $150 distributor that has performed well in six or eight models of trucks, through two wars, 50 years, and a million vehicles...but hey, we can improve on it by making more holes in it!

>>3.4:89 gears.Front and back is ideal but if you only >>have cash for one set replace the rear gears and just >>unlock the front for highway driving.
Insert "for good" in place of "for highway driving"

>>This will effect your 4X4 performance but if you're >>just driving it daily it won't be a problem.

giggle snort....finally! The answer to the perennial M37 gear dilemma!

>>He's not going to bother with upgrading the brakes and >>tires for the new speed he'll just open it up on the >>highway and drive cautiously in the city.

yes,yes! In the city there's always the handy house or store to bang up against if you get going to fast. Don't sweat the brakes! All that nasty absestos dust, ya know! Good lord! Is this friend of yours one of the Knievels?

>>This is what I had planned for the M-43 but I just >>don't have the time do the change.Someone quicker and >>more wrench savy could do it.

More wrench savvy? More than what? Why worry about wrench savvy at this point? Mr Goodwrench just left the country.

>>Jim you're in luck he has another cylinder head that >>he found and he's willing to sell it.If you're into it >>let me know.

Jim, good lord, what a break!

Hey, this was a joke, right? Please say it was a joke.
You guys did this just to get me excited, right?
Jack, wondering where to drill the holes