Re: [MV] M37/M43 speed-up.Heres 3 cheap ways:

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 17:48:22 PST

>Uh puleeeeze!
>This was one of the silliest things I've ever read here.
>
>>>I have a friend here with an M-37 that had the dilemma >>most of us face; how
>>>to get these trucks moving fast enough and powerful >>enough blah blah
blah.....

>The M37 was engineered to crawl in the worst of conditions through mud,
over rocks, across rivers, etc at a snail's pace. Cope with it. It is NOT a
highway truck.

Not exactly.You are dealing with 50's technology and mentality.They used and
dealt with what they had and knew.

>>>made his M-37 a highway driving hill climbing daily >>driver.blah
blah....The same hills my M-43 took in 2nd >>gear his took in third at a
good clip. He's also >>getting 70 on the highway.

>giggle snort...that'll be the day. It's not possible to run a 230 flathead
at that rpm for more than a few seconds, assuming one could make it GET to
that rpm to start with. You're in small block chevy territory here....NOT
Dodge flatheads.

True for the 230 but a 251 will and so can a 265.Both dodge flatheads.The
251 being available in the M37 on my side of the line.

>>>Try this: (good grief, disaster always follows!)
>>>1.He changed his stock cylinder head with one that had >>a smaller
combustion chamber.blah blah blah....

>Increasing compression ratio by more than a nominal point or so will result
in detonation, which will destroy the engine in short order. This is as
silly as the kids who used to attach a string to the governor linkage on
their go-karts to go faster...ever see Briggs and Stratton salad? Couple
this folly with today's crappola gasoline, which detonates with harsh
language, and you will have Dodge salad!

Not true.Apples and oranges.The compression can be increased up to 8.75 on
the flat head.After that there is to much shrouding and it will actually
hurt the flow.Also the motor needs to be in good order.If the block has high
miles and is loose then of course you can have other problems.The higher
compression head was available from the factory.Detonation can be controlled
thru various ways and most of it being common sense.And i bet our gas is
crappier than yours.

>>>2.He has two condensors in the distributor! This >>helped with getting a
better spark and made starting >>a breeze.blah blah blah....

>His original one was probably kaput. The 230 is known for being an easy
starter when it's tuned properly. Mine all start with a hand crank.

>>>Take two regular 12 volt condensors and piggyback
>>>them together blah blah...
>
>Why 12 volt condensers? The M37 is 24 volts.

It's possible the original is shot but then I doubt it would run.Remove and
resistors and you get a similar effect.Common knowledge to get a hotter
spark back in the 50's.Also filing the gap on the rotor and increasing the
plug gap will give a hotter spark but you can also go to far and not get any
at all.

>>>with the same hookup.Unfortunately you have to drill >>into the
distributor face plate and the cap to make >>some room.But for some reason
it gets a hotter spark.

>Yuh, sparks all over I'll bet! Everywhere but the plugs.
>makes sense though....butcher a $150 distributor that has performed well in
six or eight models of trucks, through two wars, 50 years, and a million
vehicles...but hey, we can improve on it by making more holes in it!

I don't like to drill the distributer either.

>>>3.4:89 gears.Front and back is ideal but if you only >>have cash for one
set replace the rear gears and just >>unlock the front for highway driving.
>Insert "for good" in place of "for highway driving"
>
>>>This will effect your 4X4 performance but if you're >>just driving it
daily it won't be a problem.

>giggle snort....finally! The answer to the perennial M37 gear dilemma!
>
>>>He's not going to bother with upgrading the brakes and >>tires for the
new speed he'll just open it up on the >>highway and drive cautiously in the
city.

>yes,yes! In the city there's always the handy house or store to bang up
against if you get going to fast. Don't sweat the brakes! All that nasty
absestos dust, ya know! Good lord! Is this friend of yours one of the Knievels?

>>>This is what I had planned for the M-43 but I just >>don't have the time
do the change.Someone quicker and >>more wrench savy could do it.

>More wrench savvy? More than what? Why worry about wrench savvy at this
point? Mr Goodwrench just left the country.

>>>Jim you're in luck he has another cylinder head that >>he found and he's
willing to sell it.If you're into it >>let me know.

>Jim, good lord, what a break!
>
>Hey, this was a joke, right? Please say it was a joke.
>You guys did this just to get me excited, right?
>Jack, wondering where to drill the holes

It sounds to me like Jack needs an education.
There is also a guy here in BC CDN who has an
M37,251,lockrites,warns,4.89's,higher compression head,running 900's,stock
carb and intake.He gets about 16 miles to the gallon highway and can pass
the traffic when need be.I'd say he probably can do around 65/70miles an
hour.The brakes aren't a problem because I think he had another material
relined on the shoes.

I am building mine with a crysler crown marine 265,dual intake and
exhaust,higher compression head,and eventually a locker or lockrite,locking
hubs and the Gamma Goat tires(which in effect numerically lowers the gear
ratio)I estimate similar mileage and speed but the power should be around
140HP and 250 FTLBS.
The stock marine 265 is 125 hp with 218 ftlbs at 1600rpm.

I got delivery on my motor a few days ago and I'd say I got a real good
deal.the thing was complete with zero miles on it for $700CDN.

With todays technology almost anything is possible.
Andre