GPW WINDSHIELD MEASURMENTS

From: Kelly, Robert (Robert_Kelly@FCEINC.COM)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 09:50:56 PDT

Hello again....

I tried to get glass for my reproduction GPW windshield (from Richard Grace
- I believe it is Bemak/MD Huan from Phillipines). I removed the inner
frame, grabbed the rubber weatherstrip and glass installation tape (looks
like rubberized cork - from Beachwood Canvas) and took it to the nearest
auto glass place. They had it for a few days and when I called, they told me
they couldn't do it. When asked why, the guy said that the channel was too
narrow and glass and tape would not fit. I asked a dumb question... don't
you have thinner safety glass? Of course, he said, but you can't have any.
Apparently, there is some Federal Regulation limiting the thickness of auto
glass. I asked if he could just cut some to size and let me install it
myself. Absolutely not, knowing that you are going to put it in a
windshield. This obtuse individual (the owner, unfortunately) would not let
me get the measurements from him, would not be convinced that the vehicle
was originally equipped with that thickness, and he wouldn't let me sign a
wavier. Very frustrating.

I don't want to remove glass from my existing original W/S because I'm
selling it (see recent post by me) I don't want to break it or screw it up.

So... can anyone tell me:

Proper thickness of glass required.
Exact dimensions of both windows (if different).
Any tips on installing the window and or weather strip so I don't go
breaking anything.

Thanks everyone!!!

Bob Kelly
42 GPW