Re: [MV] M35 MAINTENCE

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 18:14:19 PDT

Terri Haines <terrilh@carr.org> wrote:

> I am looking for anyone who has M35 mechanical background, and would
> be interested in helping a newcomer to military truck field!
[...]
> I can do some motor and mechanical work,all the welding and metal
> work just getting all my ducks in line!!!!!

You're already a lot farther ahead than I was when I bought my first
MV (an M109A3, which is the shop van version of the M35A2). Before
buying it last October, I had never done any auto work more
complicated than cleaning and adjusting the drum brakes on my Toyota!
I found the 2.5-ton to be an easy truck to work on, and a good
get-your-feet-wet learning truck. An old M37 or M38 would probably
have been a bit easier just because the parts are lighter, but the
deuce is pretty simple and straightforward. I would be a bit worried
about doing major engine repair, just because I've never been deep
inside an engine before (but I'd still do it), and I don't think I'd
mess with the fuel injection pump's innards, but nothing else on the
truck bothers me. I think you've picked out a nice truck to get
started, and if you already have motor work experience, you should not
have any problems.

My advice: If you're getting a young truck (that is, an M35A2 from
about 1965 on), then get the latest version of the tech manuals, from
the TM 9-2320-361-* series. If you're getting an older truck that is
covered by them, then get an OLD printing (say, 1965 or older) of the
older manuals from the TM 9-2320-209-* series. Whatever you do, avoid
the newer printings of the TM 9-2320-209-* series from the 1970s and
1980s like the plague... they STINK!!!

Just my two cents worth.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/