Re: [MV] Tan/desert paint schemes on HMMWV

From: Rich Weinkauf (RWeinkauf@msn.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 19:26:19 PDT

> Since we seem to be on the subject of paint today, I would like to ask the
> list if anybody knows how the military "creates" tan/desert camo HMMWV's.
It
> seems that just about every part for this vehicle is green from the
factory.

I guess you're talking about trucks delivered from the factory that came in
something other than the desert tan.

I toured the "plant" last summer in Mishawaka, and got to see them building
both HMMWVs and Civilian models. The factory is really more like a
workshop- these trucks are pretty much hand built. The only robots are the
painters and the one that welds the windshield frames.

Anyway, if specified, the truck will be delivered in desert tan. While I
was there I saw a parking lot with about a hundred up-armored trucks all in
desert tan.

Rich
Rich Weinkauf, N8QLT
HummerID: 97.5 Fly Yellow Wagon