Driving the GPW

From: Kelly, Robert (Robert_Kelly@FCEINC.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 10:11:09 PDT

No question today...

Just thought you might get a chuckle out of this. Have any of you fine folks
experienced this?

I probably haven't put 10 miles on the GPW since I got it back together
because I am staying close to home just in case. I am not in a rural area
but its not super built up with way too much traffic, either. Most roads are
35mph, which is just about right for this vehicle. I certainly won't be
doing alot of highway driving.

So I am at a stop sign and turning right, waiting for a nice big hole to
pull into. One comes, with the guy coming up about 200 yards away. I pull
out and accelerate relatively quickly to a blistering 40mph. When I stop at
the light about 300 yards away, the guy who was 200 yds is already on my
ass. Its hot out and the windows on the guys truck (I can see now he is a
punk) are down and I can hear him Mother F'ing me and my piece of crap jeep.
I turn around and kindly ask him to repeat that as I wasn't sure I heard him
the first time. His tone changed somewhat, but he commented rather
truculently that I shouldn't be driving the jeep if I can't accelerate.

This makes me sad. People should be proud to breath my fumes while backing
up behind this beautiful and historic vehicle! Doesn't he realize what an
honor it is? I am only 32, but I'll be damned if I can understand kids
today.

Regards,

Bob Kelly
42 GPW