Re: [MV] The more mundane...

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 12:46:07 PDT

Don,

You gotta put the truck number on your posts so we can
keep track of what we're talking about.

I'll assume that its a 2 1/2 ton and say I have no
idea about the CID of the engine but the auto engage
on the front axle is called a Sprague clutch.

It engages when the rear wheels slip in relation to
the front wheels. Its not the best situation because
you can't engage it before you need it, you have to
wait 'til the rear wheels are spinning in the mud.

When they work right it only takes about one turn of
the rear wheels to get it to engage, but if the gears
are worn it will take more.

Also, if you have to back up the Sprague clutch will
disengage from forward and re-engage in reverse, not
usually a problem unless you're trying to rock the
truck to get it out of whatever its stuck in.
Consider that the rear wheels have to then sping in
reverse to get the clutch to engage again.

Joe