Re: [MV] The more mundane...

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 13:46:07 PDT

--- Don Stewart <donstewart6500@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Joe,
> Sorry 'bout that. Can't everyone read my mind?
> It is a deuce, by the
> way. By the sound of it, I can see why the military
> went to the air shift
> front axle.
> I was getting sort of flustered, trying to find
> the @#$%! axle lock! Kept
> thinnking "I was in the @#%$! army, I oughta be able
> to find the lever!".
> Thanks again
++++++++
Well now, wait a minute here.

Its possible that you're not that far off. On some
models it was possible to modify/update the truck to
an air shift, this wasn't possible on my M-135, but
may have been for the M-35's. So you might have been
looking for something that SHOULD have been there.

You might want to look into getting the kit to do that
to yours. Try Memphis Equipment, they will know for
sure and have the equipment, too.

The reason its not on all trucks is that it will
confuse some drivers who don't understand shifting,
like a just-graduated-from-high-school new private who
never had a driver's license! Or even someone who had
never driven a standard transmission. Most farmboys
are excluded from the above, BUT not all.

Consider that picture and you'll quickly understand
why the military wanted the complicated automatic
transmissions even though they were a maintenance
nightmare. Then consider what a technological advance
the M-135/211 was in 1950! An automatic? In a heavy
truck? Unheard of!! All you gotta do is stomp on the
gas and point it!

Joe