MV PR

From: DerykWalker@cs.com
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 07:40:23 PDT

Recently my local car parts store had a custom and classic car show. I asked
if I could bring down my WC-56 Command Car and Chris Davis's M37. No problem
they said. On the appointed day we showed up with me in W.W.II uniform. You
should have seen the looks from the chaps with the highly polished and
tricked out cars. We might have just landed from Mars or some other weird
place. These guys were out there polishing every piece of chrome and touching
up the paint job with the tiniest brush. I was tempted to get the spray can
of OD out and start painting but resisted the temptation.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have owned classic cars over the years and I have
nothing against these guys, apart from the fact they were a little "snotty,"
(sorry, mad Brit term). I took a spare M1 helmet with me and soon we had kids
and parents coming up and asking us "what sort of Army car is that?" Short
history followed plus the fact that I have information in photo frames that I
hang on the WC. This was the only vehicle, Chris had left by then, that the
kids could touch and get into. Pop the M1 on their heads, to save knocking
bits of flesh off on any sharp points, and let them get behind the wheel.
Kodak moment!

Great fun for all and we always had inquiring people around. One father
bemoaned that he had left his camera behind. No problem, snapped Junior
behind the wheel with my digital camera and e-mail him the picture that
evening! One 10 year was doing a school project on Patton and was awestruck.
I offered to take the WC to school so he could give his presentation from the
back seat, but he was giving it on the following Monday and I was going to be
away on a business trip, too bad. Fabulous day made lots of friends for the
MV community.

Deryk Walker
1944 WC-56 "Baby"
Mission Viejo, CA