Re: [MV] M-151 Engine designer/builder

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 18:24:18 PDT

 Jim Gilmore writes:
..heavy snippage
No, tractor motor came later. Also, the GP motor was NOT a NNA. It
 was a 9-N motor. NNA motor came later and, contrary to some magazine
 articles, the GP motor was very reliable and gave good service.
more snippage.....

Jim and listers,
In my archive of Ford tractor info, I find no mention of any "GP' designated engine for any tractor. (possibly I misunderstood and you were referring to the GP mil-vehicle?)
The NAA tractor (there was never an "NNA" tractor) was first sold in 1953 with the 134 cu in "Red Tiger" OHV engine. This engine was the global replacement for the flathead, and continued on through the rest of the "hundred series" tractors, the 600, the 700, the 800, the 900, etc. and on into the thousand series units. The Ford 9N, 2N and 8N tractors all had a four cylinder flathead engine, NOT an overhead valve. Production on the flathead was terminated with the 1952 model year. Note also that the two engines were NOT interchangeable, as the entire tractor design was different. Unless there were M151 engines around in 1953, I'd have to conclude that the tractor engine was first off the board. I have a 1955 tractor with the OHV engine, and the similarity is unmistakeable.