Re: [MV] Ford GPA dataplate pictures

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 07:28:27 PDT

Jeudy THE JEEP p. 166 English edition shows diagram of cockpit. Left to
right :
1. (# 49 on drawing) Identification plate -- left of steering column.
2. (# 45) Plate showing maximum speeds in gears -- between steering column
and instrument cluster.
3. (# 46) Plate with instructions for use of propeller and pump. -- over
spedometer.
4. (# 48) Plate with instructions for use of gearboxes. -- Over Voltmeter to
left of parking brake.
5. (# 47) Plate with instructions regarding voltage, no regulator being
fitted. -- To right of parking brake.

Yes # 47 is after # 48 on the drawing (probably from a US manual on the GPA)

GPA USA 702328 is shown in Yasuo Ohtsuka's book JEEP JEEP JEEP pp. 200, 205,
206. The photo on p. 205 shows the data plates. Although the USA number does
not show on p. 205, you can see it is the same vehicle as p. 206 by the
greasy (?) markings on the starboard (right) side above the aft (rear)
wheel. On page 200 Yasuo says this one was part of contract W-3980QM-12937
and was the 225th one made. Photo on p. 200 was taken 1942 Oct 22.

I shall try scanning some images and send them to you.

CAUTION: Later production GPAs MIGHT have had fewer but larger data plates
(?). I do not have info at hand on this and only local GPA has data plates
removed and in storage.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB