Re: RE: [MV] CCKW 270 Upgrade

From: Gordon.W.I. McMillan (gwim2@student.open.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 16:13:38 PDT

No easy solution then.....

I'm just not that knowledgable about what can and can't be fitted into the
270 slot.

I've only had two, one in the DUKW and one in the 1.5 ton Chev where it
replaced the very similar stovebolt six. The transmission and axles plus
radius rods make it quite complex to start tinkering with. After 40 years
in storage you'll probably have to spend a couple of hours on the engine,
and a day or so on the transmission anyway, sowhy not postpone any firm
thoughts till you try it ?

Logically the engine and transmission to go for would be the later GMC
unit from the '50s, but my knowledge of that is nil. I've seen a good few
DUKWs with diesel units fitted where the drivetrain just came apart though.

Gordon