Re: [MV] CCKW 270 Upgrade

From: Jeanne Lacourse (cckw@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 13:41:04 PDT

I second Gordon's suggestion, keep the original family of engines. In a
DUKW, you have more room in the front.

The CCKW will give you two headaches as far as V8 replacement goes: Exhaust
manifold on drivers side interfering with the steering column (major rework)
and the fact that the shaft between the tranny and the xfer is 2 u-joints
with a slip spline. There is NO room for a longer tranny (with synchros).

The correct change is to a CIVY (not MIL) 302 engine. It has (last ones
made) 160 hp versus 104 in the original 270. That is almost a 60% increase.
On top of that, you can use DUKW wheels 11.00 x 18 versus 7.50 x 20 and you
can install a WW2 Chevy xfer that has a 1 x 1 high range instead of a 1.1 x
1 in the original CCKW. This requires one drive shaft lengthening and the
removal of the xfer control interlock block as the high/low is now reversed.

Having said all that. Remember that y ou must stop it and that will be your
biggest problem. At 60mph it will be very marginal as far as heating up and
swept area is concerned.

Steve AKA Dr Deuce (and Chevy's too)