Timing procedure for 2AO42 engine

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 22:55:57 PDT

Here is the step by step timing procedure for the mule and military standard
engine.
Ref. TM 5-2805-213- 14

1. Remove spark plug No. 1 or left front cylinder. (right side of
vehicle,viewed from rear of vehicle)

2. Insert thumb in spark plug hole and turn fan drive pulley until air
escaping by thumb indicates No. 1 cylinder is on compression stroke,
continue to turn pulley until top dead center timing mark aligns with fan
drive pulley mark.

3. with marks aligned as described in step 2, turn fan drive pulley until
camshaft gear ignition mark appears in opening in timing cover.

4. Hold no. 1 sparkplug cable one-eight of an inch from magneto case and
turn magneto gear clockwise until magneto impulses and spark occurs between
cable and magneto.

5. Impulse magneto two additional times.

6. Turn magneto gear clockwise slightly and position magneto gear timing
mark in alignment with camshaft gear ignition timing mark.

Note: for model AO42-KM engines with Ser.No. lower than KM003275, turn
magneto gear counterclockwise and position magneto gear timing mark two
teeth from camshaft gear timing mark.

The manual exploded view appears to indicate that the camgear will only fit
one way. Nothing in the text says that it will fit any other way(or that it
won't). From memory, I believe the gear center is thicker and clearance is
different from one side to the other, if its put on backward it won't fit.
But, like I said earlier I haven't had one off the camshaft.

Hope this helps! Keith