RE: [MV] ??? (M37 vs. V-41)

From: Norona, Mike (MNorona@amsuper.com)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 08:03:10 PDT

Hi Tom & List,
Would this be by chance at Jack Tomlin's in Tooele, Utah? I've been
unsuccessful reaching him for quite some time.
Anyway, the M37 is the cargo truck (pickup style). The V-41 is the
"Telephone, Light Maintenance, & Cable Splicing Truck", often just called
Telephone/Maintenance.
Other differences:
-longer wheelbase (same as ambulance).
-thus, rear propeller shaft is longer.
-service-type body with side boxes.
-leaf spring count is 8 front, 13 rear (standard is 7/11, but ambulance also
has 13 rear).
-frame has an additional oversized reinforcement C-channel along each side
about mid-span, about 3-4 feet long.
-originally came with a pedestal-type spotlamp mounted fore of the driver's
door.

Later versions of the V-41 had a slightly different box (body), and were
designated M201 (not to be confused with the M201 Hotchkiss 1/4-ton Jeeps).

Both M37 and V-41 have canvas cabs; other than spotlamp cabs are identical.
I believe all V-41 models had winch. I'll send some pictures on separate
post; list doesn't allow attachments, for good reason. Can't think of any
other major differences, hope this helps some.
- mazo mike
Mike Noroņa
Mazomanie, Wisconsin
'51 V-41 (but with M37 cargo box)