Re: [MV] CCKW engine and transmission measurements

From: Jeanne Lacourse (cckw@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 19:44:08 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike D'Ambrogia <miked@tworock.com>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 4:24 PM
Subject: [MV] CCKW engine and transmission measurements

> Hey listers,
>
> Does anybody have a resource that would list the measurements of both the
> engine and transmission lengths in the cckw? I'm looking to figure out
what
> the cckw 270 and the clark trans measure from front crank to rear
> transmission output shaft.

The tranny is short because there are no synchros in it.

> Also, if anybody has transmission gear ratio's as well as rear end ratio's
> (6:1??) I'd be much obliged. Transfer case is 1:1 in high correct?

6.66 : 1 rearends

1.1 : 1 xfer (underdrive)

> I'm working on the idea of the 327 mated to a NV4500/MT-8 (5 speed manual
> w/syncro's and granny low for 1992+ 1 ton gm/dodge trucks) but length of
> this combo and its ability to fit into the engine compartment and under
the
> firewall is a concern. The NV measures 12.375 w/out bellhousing, 327 is
> still unknown in length. All of this will be immaterial if the rear end
> ratio's are 6:1, have to look into ring and pinion sets...

Only real option for rears is 6.16 : 1 from a MIL M211/M135
Civy down to 5:34 : 1 but they are rare and you need 3 of them

> Thanks to all who have chimed in on this thread, I'm not sold one way or
the
> other yet, but I'm enjoying the hunt for information and awaiting the
> delivery of the vehicles which is tentatively set for late next week.
>
> For those playing our game at home, here is a summary of what I have
learned
> so far:
>
> -larger tires will help produce higher road speeds
> -transfer case will probably have trouble with higher HP v8 engine, rear
> ends also if the driveline not maintained

I cannot touch mine xfer after a good run and that is with the 6

> -6 cyl 270 engine is real long so there should be room for a v8 in there
> -headers have been made to reduce the struggle to get the exhaust around
the
> steering linkage on the drivers side engine compartment
> -don't have much info on the clark transmission other than it is designed
> for a 2.5 ton
> -stopping the truck from higher speeds will be an issue, creative
solutions
> have been applied to other similar trucks/projects in the past with
various
> levels of success (2.5 ton vehicles apparently develop abit of thrust...)

The brakes are too small to stop it from higher speeds

You also have the pedal issue. They are bolted to the bellhousing