Re: [MV] M35 electrical (lights) questions

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 19:09:38 PDT

"Les Newman" <lnewman@tridium.com> wrote:
> I take it everything is 24volts.

Yup.

> Do places like NAPA carry 24V lights for replacing headlights, taillights
> and such?

I don't know if NAPA carries or can order headlights, and the blackout
driving light on the M35 might be a problem (but it's not legal on the
road, anyway), but all of the other tail, marker, turn and instrument
panel lights are available through various bulb vendors. I get my MV
bulbs through Bulb Direct (http://www.bulbdirect.com/), and I got my
replacement headlights for my HMMWV (they're the same as the Deuce
lights) from another MV member on this list.

I have a cross-reference list for the M44-series trucks (including the
M35) on my web page (see below). It has the cross-reference
information I've collected so far for things like lamps, fluids,
filters, etc.

For a lighted rear license plate, I bought a civvy lighted plate
bracket from an RV shop, replaced the bulb with a 24V equivalent which
fit in the socket and was rated with roughly the same light output,
and made a "Y" adapter to tap into the nearest tail light without
needing to cut any wires. I mounted the plate bracket on a hunk of
steel bar stock bolted onto the existing bolts which secure the angle
braces to the metal plate over the left rear mud flap, so I didn't
have to add any holes. Thus, my modification is completely reversible.
Someday I ought to publish details...

I did a similar trick on my HMMWV, though I used a nicer (and more
expensive) plate light from NAPA, and built my own bracket. On that
one, I tapped power from the left side marker light. Again, no new
holes, and I'll probably publish details someday.

When you pick out a license plate bracket, let us know what type of
12V bulb it came with (there ought to be a number on the side), and
we'll see if we can find a 24V equivalent. Both of my different lights
used the same bulb. My bulbs are downstairs and I'm not, so I won't
bother looking them up unless you end up with a bracket that wants the
same bulb. :-)

Good luck, and have fun with your new toy!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/