incredible parade. LONG

From: Robin Craig (therobincraig@home.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 23:14:43 PDT

This morning my buddy Eric and I drove two hours in his M38A1Cdn and M100
trailer up to Pembroke for the Freedom Of The City Parade of the Royal
Canadian Dragoons. At the appointed time of 1130 the HLVW with beaver tail
trailer pulled in the parking lot form up area. I have to say that driving
the Ferret onto a trailer and unloading is a little different as you have no
sight of the ground or deck as you go up or down, totally reliant on the
ground guide. A little un nerving until you get accustomed to it. A lady
pulled up in her car just before we unloaded and commented to one of the
troops " nice to see you boys have some good new equipment " should have
seen the look on her face when she was told that this " new piece of
equipment" was forty one years old and was privately owned and operated!!
Made my day I can tell you.

So, in following with all my other outings this year, after about half an
hour the rain clouds rolled in and the heavens threatened to open. Seeing
those clouds made me roll my eyes again, Oh no not another wet day in a
Ferret please! I asked the guys and they said there was a car wash locally
with big bays, so I mounted up and tootled over there and backed the Ferret
into a bay. Should have seen the looks on peoples faces as they drove past
and spotted the machine there!! Priceless!!

Eric stayed behind keeping dry in the jeep. As the time passed some of the
Armoured vehicles from the RCD's and the Royal Canadian Regiment trundled by
on their way to the form up point, all the guys were soaking wet and you
could tell it. They did notice me keeping dry and made gestures as they
passed. Another 20 minutes went by and a very low throaty rumble could be
heard in the distance. Slowly it developed and you could hear the clatter of
tracks aswell, and you could feel the ground tremble. At the end of the
street an escort truck turned the corner with a Leopard right on his tail,
then another then another, these leviathans are an impressive sight on a
narrow small town street at speed. The guys were doing about 45 km/h in
traffic in the rain as they passed me, a total of five I think. The whole
ground shook as they rumbled past. Very cool.

Another 15 minutes passed and the clouds had cleared and the sun shone
again, so I came out of my dry storage and headed over to the form up area.
I parked up beside the Coyote 8 X 8 recce vehicles made by our own GM
Diesel Division in London Ontario Canada. Also there were our refurbished
Grizzly's which now have had their swim trim vanes removed along with the
prop. At the rear the prop has a stowage box in lieu. The whole suspension
has been upgraded to that from the Bison and the ride is no longer an ass
dragging look.

I took my place these guys as we formed up in the street. I had a Korean Vet
from the Regiment standing in the turret, his feet on the commanders seat in
the lowered position. When we moved out four Coyotes were first with four
Grizzly's and then myself. Behind me were another four Coyotes and the five
Leopards following them. Eric trailed behind the Leopards. It was very
impressive to be part of such a large formation of heavy metal. We moved at
a very slow pace downtown passing a saluting dais. A good and very warm
turnout from the locals.

We peeled off after a few blocks to go to a static display and reception at
a local park. The armour was going to run straight back to Barracks about 15
miles up the road. as they did they picked up the pace, we could feel and
hear the Leopards running down the narrow main street. Such a cool sound.

We pulled into the park and set up a small display alongside a dodge
ambulance and an MB with recoilless mounted. Eric turned up in the M38A1Cdn
soon after.

We were given a slap up lunch by the regiment, and personally thanked by the
CO, who presented the three of us who had turned out with our vehicles with
a newly published book on the Royal Canadian Dragoons. Was really chuffed
about that. Some very cool Ferret pictures in there, exploding some myths
about Mk2/3's in Canadian use, but more about that another time I think.

It was soon 415 and time to load up again, and for Eric and I too return
home. I had to work tonight, even if I was missing some of my shift. I get
the Ferret back in the am.

A couple of lessons learned. I had a great peace of mind loading and
unloading my own vehicle and having it left on the trailer overnight in the
units hangar. The guys from the Regiment were great about the trucking and
are very professional and a credit to their uniforms and Units. The other
item Eric and I used today alot was a pair of Motorola Family Channel
Radios, I had bought the basic unit at Radio Shack for about 68 bucks cdn,
comes with 14 channels, is a vhf unit about 2 miles range line of sight. We
were separated a number of times during the day and found them to be very
clear and good with the warble tone " alert" chime which allows you to pick
it up and listen to what is said. great form convoy work and big event
grounds, have used it with my 11 yr. old daughter while off roading last
weekend with great success too. A good piece of kit to buy.

Oh well, was late into work but was no big deal, will unload in the morning,
then Sunday off to the UK. see you all there,

rgds

Robin Craig