Light-hearted point of interest with flags.

From: Gavin Broad (invest@portsmouth-mann.com)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 14:10:10 PDT

Hi Jack and all Listers,

Lovely story there from Jack in the Peoples Republik (;-) but one that
raises in interesting point that not even most Brits. are aware of: The
flag that is most often referred to as the "Union Jack", is in fact, the
"Union Flag". It is only a "Jack" when hoisted aboard one of Her
Brittannic Majesty's warships.

For those interested in other British military anomalies, or hit delete now:

Why is the "British Army" that and not a "Royal" something as with the
other services? The Indian Mutiny.

Royal Navy officers wear their swords slung so low, they must physically
carry them by the hilt - why? This is deliberate and permanent punishment
for the Spithead Mutiny. Could have been worse, the other ranks got strung up!

Why do we have the Royal Regiment of Gurkhas? We were the only force they
ever lost to. (their choice)

And finally, why has there never been a modern HMS Portsmouth? The name is
in disgrace - the only Royal Naval vessel ever to strike it's colours in
the face of the enemy, that treacherous Glaswegian, John Paul Jones.

Phew!
Cheers
Gavin