Taken the Dodge out..

From: Stephen Flynn (FLYNN1955@webtv.net)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 00:41:53 PDT

Hi List,
                      What a week,to much work.So I made sure I made it
to the DMV.Registered the old boy with no trouble,friendly people.Saw no
advantage in registering it as an antique,one time fee,but absolutely no
driving on the road,unless in parade.For $47.00 it's legal for 2
years.''Oh it's a jeep,''the gal said.....
Then I worried over the lights,a little cleaning got that strait,all but
left rear.The Oregon Drivers manual states all mandatory equipment must
operate...which most I ain't got.Brake lights,turn signals ,backup?The
Norwegians did add a rear ID light for a plate,got that covered ! ''Damn
I'm going to have to build a 6v system'',obsessing in my over worked
head,to get this thing legal.But then,last paragraph,page 110 special
vehicle lighting...are exempt.. ..antique vehicles have only
the types of lights required when they were
manufactured .BINGO.!! Catching an hour or so Thursday night I fastened
on my new plates and took off !Teaching myself the art of double
clutching ( don;t know if it was the sound of me,or the sight that got
peoples attention ) No top and the wind shield down on a hot summers
evening.Life is good,the truck ran great.Moved along a scenic street at
35,pushed it up to 40-5,a little loose in the steering.Those tires were
not going any where, nice and strait.All system gages reported all was
well.collected Portlands pollen up my noise and sneezed gleefully.The
test came and went as I rolled past my first ''Portlands finest''who
didn't give me a second look.Home and a quick look over.Now we're warmed
up I can see a few drips,in all the expected areas,to few to be
alarmed.So Friday I took it to work,now those guy's appreciated it,talk
of hunting,4 wheeling flew around (hid the fact I was late )all good
fun.
Now besides not having a hard time with DMV,Allstate had no problem
insuring it as a 3/4 Dodge pick up 1943.I worried over the lights as I
well remember the days of MOT in Britain.Note to the Brits... As it
seems to be Brit night,in Oregon we have only one inspection.That is
DEQ.exhaust emissions,only in the greater Portland area.This is the
North west where men are men.......I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay,I sleep
all night and I work all day.......except we call them loggers.Cops here
probably brake more traffic laws than I even do,so why do I worry,the
British in me always watches out for that z car....( shows my age ) God
save the Queen.Remember the Yanks won the revolution only to bring to
you some day these green beasties as compensation........
TTFN,Steve with a flaky beautiful WC51