French SUMB questions

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 17:12:33 PDT

Having owned this 1982 SUMB for nearly 7 months, I've just now gotten round
to finding out what I have. lol

Actually, it was someone wanting to buy it who asked these questions and I
was at a loss to answer. Hopefully somebody out there will have had some
experience with this very common French military troop transport. My
questions are:

1. Can the SUMB be shifted into high range 4 X 4? Seems to only shift
simultaneously into low range with the 4X4 lever and the hi-lo transfer
lever.

2. Is the air shift next to the drivers seat for locking the rear
differential only or does the front differential lock as well. An inspection
only revealed the rear lock.

3. Is the SUMB suspension exactly the same as Unimog with interchangeable
parts?

4. Who makes the transfer case and gear box? Is it a Ford or Unimog or
another design altogether?

5. Any manuals available for the SUMB?

6. Are there any over-the-counter tune up parts available, such as the
points and condensors?

Thanks,

Jack Lee

PS It's a great truck, runs perfectly, just can't seem to find out much
about it.