Mike Sommer- Flying Memorial Service

From: JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 18:43:10 PDT

Mike Sommer's close friends and family at the Flying Circus of Bealeton
spread his ashes over the grass field used by the performers. Mike had been
going there since he was 11 years old. He was killed on the same field. He
wanted to fly one more check ride with his instructor before his examination
ride for his license, and the aircraft he was in crashed on take off,
killing him and the instructor.

The ceremony began with one of the pilots of the Circus giving tribute to
Mike. Mike's sister read a eulogy written by one of his friends. A vocal
group then sang "Amazing Grace" while the four Stearmans and one Waco fired
up to taxi to their take off positions. A color guard was called to
attention while the aircraft took off. The Stearman bearing his ashes flew
low over the field as the color guard saluted him with a rifle volley. The
Stearman then made a slight climb, releasing the ashes as it made its way
into a loop over the field. A bugler blew taps, and shortly after, the five
aircraft flew by in V formation, one lifting up gracefully right over the
point where Mike's ashes were spread to make the "Missing Man" formation.
The field was silent for a few moments until all the aircraft were safely
down and shut down on the flight line. Then, many filed past Mike's M37,
which he called "Baby," adorned with photos from Mike's life.

It had to be the saddest air show I ever attended. Mike's son, 9, was there
wearing the shirt I had gotten him to wear at the Flying Circus when Mike
and I first met, and it made me feel so sad thinking that was the last time
I had seen Mike and his son together. I was there with my son, and the
contrast felt conspicuous.

There wasn't a dry eye on the field by the end of the ceremony.

For those who didn't know Mike past his emails, you missed a good person.