Re: [MV] "Coot" ID?

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 23:17:33 PDT

Henry wrote:

>I have a "Coot" (civilian name) , which is a 4 wheel drive, amphibious
>vehicle. It pivots in the middle along the front/rear axis (like a
>Gamma-Goat). Front steering, front and rear axles are solid, no
>differentials.

         Well, not exactly like the Goat. The Coot only pivots side to side
and not up and down.

>It is painted O.D., and very thoroughly. It has a white star on it, and
>looks military, but, I can't find an ID plate.

       Did this vehicle come from Michigan? If so I know it well and should
have some history on it.

>Several people said they saw them in Vietnam,

        Only after smoking much Thai-sticks..........as the US armed forces
did not use them there.

>others saw them in various
>uses in the military,

      Never found any evidence of their use by the US military.

>but, no one can tell me if they have an "M" number, or
>if these folks are hallucinating.

    They are undoubtedly thinking of the Gamma-Goat.

>The civilian model, "Coot", was widely produced, but none of the collectors
>I've contacted can enlighten me as to military use, either.
>IT came with 6.00X15 ND tires, rims are OD, and have tabs welded on them to
>accept a traction device that is a 1X1 inch bar with chain welded on the
>ends that hook onto the tabs and are held in place by tire pressure.

       These are grouser bars.

>It's about 7 feet long, 4 feet wide, 500 or so lbs., front steering only,
>brake on the drive shaft, snowmobile type clutch/drive system with a
>high/neut/low/neut/rev gear box.
>A fellow from Dayton, NV, I met at Woodson Bridge and again at Big bear said
>he has a Mil. operators manual and such for it..........

      Would like to see a copy of this. The Coot was a civilian vehicle
and I have never found any data that proves the military ever used them. I
do have test reports of them being used in R.A.V.E. comparison testing by
the military along with Rokon motorcycles, jeeps, mechanical mules, riding
lawn mowers and even a real live army mule. The Coot was just too fragile
for the hard abuse the military gives it's vehicles. It's more of a vehicle
for hunters to go to their duck blind. There are several of them in this
area and most of them have been painted OD by their owners to look "military".

      They do look neat though..........

                   Jim

James T. Gilmore
2565 Wiethoff, Inkster Michigan 48141