Re: [MV] CANADA and Canadian flags

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 23:53:59 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: COLIN STEVENS <colin@pacdat.net>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@skylee.com>...
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2000 11:08 PM

> [] * [] (meant to be a Canadian flag... on this CNADA DAY (our national
> holiday).

Damn! The LEAST I could do is spell my country's name right!

******* []*[] CANADA ********

Our flag is two vertical red bars (one at each end) with a red maple leaf in
the middle of the white bar between the two red bars.

At least I sang our national anthem twice today! Yes, it was in public and
yes, I got the words right! We had 8, 215 visitors today at my museum.
Weather was mild, overcast, and nice. Just as we wrapped up at 4:30 we had a
major hail storm complete with lightning. The parking lot was white and soon
flooded!

For historic MVs though, this Maple Leaf "Canada Flag" is only 'correct' for
late 1960s and up. I flew a small one on the aerial of my army issued M37CDN
when we drove to the USA in 1974 on exercise. I have just loaned this flag
to one of my air cadets who is going to Holland to participate in the annual
Nijmegan March.

Prior to that Canada used the Canadian Red Ensign a lot, AND the Union Flag
(British version... :-) aka "Union Jack"). The Red Ensign changed a lot over
the years. Canada (check spelling.... whew! it's OK :-). What is right for
WWII Canadian vehicles?

The simplest advice is the politically incorrect one is more correct for
WWII. The harp symbol in the politically incorrect version has a woman's
head and BREASTS. There are other details such as the three maple leaves at
the bottom changing colour (color) and a border around the shield. Nylon
versions of the policitally later correct version are still available at
flag stores.

Colin Stevens