British Fuel Can ?

From: Tim (tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 12:30:03 PDT

Hi list

I just got a British can, never seen one like it before, it is dated 5/40
and WD marked on the base with the propellor symbol of the manufacturer. The
can is rectangular, 15ins tall, with 9in x 9in square ends. On the top, in
the centre is a steel handle secured by 4 rivets. In one corner there is a
round 2.5in diameter alloy screw cap with a securing chain on the underside.
The can is painted green, however there are places where a sand coloured
paint can be seen underneath. The can is sound and rust free.

Can anyone tell me what this can would be for... is it fuel, water, or
something else ?

Thanks

Tim