Re: [MV] Late-model Mutt clamp & chain wanted.

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 10:18:01 PDT

Matt Thompson <MThom15@aol.com> wrote:

> There's a new product on the market called a boot. I haven't seen
> any in stores yet, but have seen them in parking lots. Basically,
> it's like a Club for your tires.

This is the approach I decided to use to secure my HMMWV. The original
one is called the "Denver Boot", and is used by many police
departments to lock up illegally-parked vehicles, rather than towing
them. There are also many similar products from various manufacturers.
The one that I chose for my truck is called the Pit Bull Tire Lock. I
had to modify it a bit to work on those big HMMWV wheels. Here are
some links I turned up when I was shopping for my tire lock:

    http://www.tirelock.com
    http://www.denverboot.com
    http://www.mitico.com
    http://www.alphalock.com

If possible, find a local vendor who will let you try one out first...
the wheels on larger trucks like the HMMWV or 2.5-ton are much bigger
than the wheels on the civilian cars targeted by these devices, so
they might not fit. My Pit Bull would not fit properly on my HMMWV or
2.5-ton before I modified it. I haven't tried it on my 2.5-ton since
then. I found that Aircraft Spruce carries both the Pit Bull and the
Alpha Lock for use on airplanes, so if you're in Southern California,
that would be one possible place to look for one.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/