Re: [MV] July 4 & the importing Mil-Veh's!

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 10:22:12 PDT

In a message dated 7/3/00 6:51:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time, BARNCARD writes:

<<
BARNCARD writes......." I would also encourage members of this list to send
an email to your senators and representatives urging them to intervene on the
behalf of military collectors to change this policy decision.

 The link below is not the official congressional site, but offers a
comprehensive listing of all US Representatives and Senator's email addresses
as well as links to other sites.

 http://www.webslingerz.com/jhoffman/congress-email.html"

Thanks for the link and of course you are right in your suggestions. The
MVPA and President Lee Holland has done a pretty decent job of trying to work
with the government to resolve this issue. However, I don't think the
government has worked with us in the same spirit or enthusiasm. Far from
it... the proof is in the results.

I am all for a letter writing campaign, calling our Representatives, etc.,
but I doubt more than 10% of the members would do it, if even that. We still
not completely understanding or appreciating this issue. If that method were
to have any effect at all we would need a committed effort by 99.9% of us,
our numbers are just too small to consider less.

FYI: I have tried this approach and my letters went unanswered, even one I
sent certified mail to the BATF. I petitioned my Congressman (Wally Herger-R
2nd Cong. Dist.) was rebuffed. He was sent back one of these, "we're looking
into it" letters.
Others have made similar requests and met with similar stalling. Even the
famous firebrand, Congressman Ron Paul of Texas was brought into this and he
made no head way whatsoever.

Clearly, it is in the best interests of the MVPA to support those who support
us, but we have some roadblocks to remove first. Many of our members fear
losing our 501, 3c status if we do get political or that it would do more
harm than good to the group's moral. This of course is not the case with a
501, 3c, non-profit status. We are free to express our collective voices in
support of our own interests by lobbying Congress or whoever we so choose.

As to, "doing more harm than good", perhaps this is true as far as our
membership harmony goes. This could be a major diplomatic problem. I know
there are those good members among us who are loyal Democrats and would take
serious offense to the MVPA supporting a Republican candidate... even if that
Republican would allow us to import armor or old American military vehicles.
I can understand that, as they feel there is more at risk than just this
issue. I agree, there is more at risk.

Happy 4th of July you sons and daughters of the American Revolution....keep
em rollin!

Jack (Supporting Bush) Lee
Stallag Chico,
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia