Re: [MV] Mutt clamp & chain

From: MThom15@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 05:28:19 PDT

> ..........WRONG...HMMWV's have a cable from the factory for this that
> >pushes into a
> >tube under the dash when not in use...A chain was some fools way of doing
> >lock up without replacing a broken cable.

Guard units frequently use their HMMWVs for recruiting purposes (good PR) for
going to schools, parades, Military days, etc. A 16 year old of average
size/weight with a good set of bolt cutters can cut through a standard
military steel cable without any trouble. Even the steel tow cables can be
cut up with a little work. OOPS, THERE GOES A $40,000 HMMWV. OH WELL
The chain he was using was a heavy duty industrial chain, the kind that would
take a criminal with a hacksaw quite a bit of time to cut through. If you
ask me, it wasn't a
"fools way of doing a lock up without replacing a broken cable," it was
pretty smart. That $5 chain and padlock may just have saved Uncle Sam, and
all us tax payers, a large chunk of change. Furthermore, G.I.s have been
known to modify their "factory installed" equipment to better suit their
needs (without damaging it and making them financially liable, of course).
Who's to say that a GI can't leave the factory installed cable alone, and use
a better chain instead?
As for the canvas bag, this was a small OD drawstring bag, probably a Surplus
Store ditty bag he bought for about 50 cents. Probably got tired of the
chain dangling around and getting in his way. If it's stupid and works, it
isn't stupid.

Regards,
Matt
MVPA #21737