Re: [MV] bypassed fuel density compensator....

From: Jay Keine (k9baylee@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 15:35:56 PDT

>bypassing the compensator 'may' make the engine more stable. i.e. the
>same throttle setting all the time. but in the long run you will never
>notice any difference, and certainly no more power.....

This is theoretically true, in a properly adjusted compensator assembly.
However, it seems many compensators are not properly calibrated, either
somehow due to time, or not being set properly in the first place. My deuce
would barely make 55mph wide open, and the slightest incline would cause
quite a slow down. I bought a manual on the injection pump from Portrayal
Press and studied how the compensator worked. I found that it simply
controlled the maximum amount of fuel injected at a particular throttle
setting, based on the viscosity of the fuel. It is calibrated by way of a
single adjustable needle valve in the compensator circuit. I then 'tuned'
out the compensator function, which took less than five minutes. My deuce
now runs as it should, accelerates very well, and cruises at 55mph at about
half throttle. Hills (most) no longer slow it down, and it feels much
healthier overall. There are no ill effects to this modification, it
accomplishes the same purpose as replumbing the fuel lines as the military
authorizes.

Jay Keine