Panzer/The Ultimate MV

From: Dirk Grosser (GrossD@cni-usa.com)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 12:08:49 PDT

Makes me remember of years ago. In '83 a comrad in the West German Navy
told me about a tank turret that is visibile depending on water level
and wind direction in
the river Schlei in Northern Germany. Never checked it out.

Then about 12 years ago German Navy divers dug out some WWII tanks
dumped into the Naval Arsenal waters in Wilhelmshaven. They were pulled
onto the pier and
sat around for about two years. Looked in pretty good shape for about
40years in the salt water. I do not know about the types. They might
have been captured
"enemy" tanks. I think they finally both went to the Panzermuseum in
Muenster.

About 20 years ago, there was an article in my hometown paper of someone
digging out a Kettenkrad from a backfilled bomb crator.

A few years ago, there were some adds in the Shotgun News for "German"
half tracks. They actually were post war Thechaslovakian (bad
spelling!!), with Tatra
engines. They looked like the real thing and were reasonable (less the
20k if I remember right).

About the ultimate MV, check out this link! This really makes my guts
grind!

 http://uboat.net/history/hamburg_elbe2.htm

This is about three German type XXI subs rediscovered 1985 in a blown up
bunker in Hamburg, Germany. The bunker was accessible at low tide
through private
property only. Now the German government has backfilled the whole thing
with gravel to keep people out.

There are many areas in Germany which are still off limits to Navy
divers, as these were areas were equipment was dumped or scuttled at the
end of the war. You still
can find about anything (even on land!) but I never came across any
vehicles.

Take care,

Dirk
'41 R75 (in pieces)