Re: [MV] 1/4 ton trailer ID help

From: INDUSTELE@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 06:40:29 PDT

Mike, I'm not an expert on civilian Bantam trailers, but I do happen to own
both the civilian and the military models. Some of the things to look for on
the civilian model is that inside the top rail of the trailer they had some
"stake pockets" made from light weight sheet metal - three to a side. They
also did not have a brake handle, and on my model at least there wasn't any
holes for the brake lever. The axles don't have any brake components.
Another feature is that the civilian models had a piece of sheet metal at the
rear to hold the tail lights. This is a triangular piece that matches the
side of the trailer, but extends straight down from the top to make a sort of
"squared off" place to mount the lights. The lunette socket is not present,
as another casting that is part of the ball hitch is installed in place of
the lunette socket.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your hunt. The trailers are very hard to
find.

Tom Campbell - Birmingham, Alabama'