RE: [MV] M35 Maximum payload on highway?

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 07:31:46 PDT

Les,

I would recommend checking the Operators Manual to be sure, but I seem to
recall that the 2 1/2 ton rating is for cross-country travel. The truck is
actually rated to haul 5 tons on paved surfaces. Personally, I believe that
these vehicles are so over-built that hauling 11,000+ pounds would not be a
problem. However, I would be concerned that the brakes would have to work
over-time to handle such a load. My guess would be that they are routinely
over-loaded in their normal use in the military. I used to drive a deuce
that had a 4800 pound water treatment plant mounted on it, and that was
BEFORE we loaded all of our support equipment and personal gear on board.
Plus, we towed a 1 1/2 ton trailer with a 10 KW generator, hoses, tanks,
fuel, and about 1000 pounds of chemicals in it. That was the way that the
system was designed to be loaded, according to the manual. Come to think of
it, the brakes seemed to be up to the challenge. Never had a problem
stopping.

My .02 (plus 6.5% sales tax) worth.

John