Re: [MV] Half Track Parts

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 22:43:19 PDT

Cliff wrote:
        I purchased a NOS "gas tank" for one side of my halftrack about 3 years
>ago. For the first year, I noticed no problems. The beginning of the
>second year, I started having starting problems when using that tank.
>Later that year, the engine would not start at all. Upon researching the
>problem, I found that the gas sitting in the tank had started to turn the
>rubber into an ugly form of what looked liquid tar.
>......... have learned the hard way about our "new " gas and
>what it is capable of doing.

        It's not the "new" gas that did this, It's alcohol in the gas that
turns old rubber into jelly! This is well know in the old car hobby. The
alcohol will eat the rubber fuel lines and turn the fuel pump diaphragm in
a slice of jello. When using old style rubber components you must make
sure that the gasoline you use is PURE gas. Usually AMOCO brand is pure
gas without alcohol being added. Ferret and other British vehicle owners
should beware of alcohol in their gas too.

                   Jim

James T. Gilmore
2565 Wiethoff, Inkster Michigan 48141
313-5618826 (Voice)