Re: [MV] M35A2 Heater intallation help.

From: Buzz Szarek (buzz@toast.net)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 20:53:14 PDT

I've seen trucks with no holes in the fender.
You may have to drill your own.

One tip when installing the heater. There are several plugs on the water
jacket outlet on the top forward portion of the motor. This housing also
contains the thermostat. You have to make sure that you use one of the
plugs that's on the hot (motor) side of the thermostat. If you don't you'll
only get hot water thru the heater when the motor is running under a heavy
load. This sounds like common sense, and in many ways it is but if you look
at the thermostat housing the most readily accessible plug (the one that is
most commonly used, even in the depots) is on the wrong side of the
thermostat. This has lead to many people thinking that the heater isn't
worth a hoot. Fact is it does keep the cab warm and defrosts the windshield
fairly well if you've got it set up right.

Secondly, if you are interested in a heater you'll probably want to get a
hood blanket kit as well. These block off the radiator and cover the top of
the hood. Many folks think this is to keep the motor warm in the winter.
While this is true it is not the only function. Since the firewall on the
truck is metal and metal conducts heat the blanket kit does wonders for
heating the cab. In the winter, with a blanket kit on my truck I seldom run
the heater, usually only to work the defroster. Much of the time I have to
open the side vents to keep from getting cooked out of the truck.

Best of luck.
-=-