Re: [MV] M38

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 16:57:44 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael E. Gammel" <meg9@pacbell.net>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2000 12:18 AM
Subject: [MV] M38

> Can anyone please explain what is purpose of the ignition filter that is
> bolted to the firewall on my 1951 M38 is for?

Sharp, spiky and quite high voltage pulses containing broad-band radio
interference are running back along the ignition supply lead to the coil,
both for high level of suppression to any fitted HF radio gear and the
stealth aspect of tracking a vehicle by its interference signature (the
ignition is a broad-band spark transmitter) the mil have these filters
fitted.

> Can I bypass it?

Absolutely for domestic use, it is usually a two section pi filter.

> Anyone have the wire that runs between the filter and the distributor
> for sale?

Without being vehicle specific, usually its regular wire inside a rubber
lined sheath of stainless braid and thus replaceable.

> Anyone have waterproof spark plug wires for sale?

All the mil ones I've seen are standard aircraft practice and again its
regular HT lead inside the lined stainless sheath, although a fiddly job
usually replaceable, albeit you have to pull a runner through when
extracting the old lead and use plenty of silicon grease to help the new one
in which doesn't help your grip on things at all just when you need it !

Richard
Southampton - England