Re: [MV] M816 questions

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 17:20:31 PDT

Shane G Deemer <sdeemer@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> OK, here's some questions; I hope they don't sound too dumb; they sound it...

I'm not too familiar with 5-ton trucks, but from your description, its
engine sounds a lot like the multifuel engine used in 2.5-ton trucks.
I'm guessing it uses the LDS-465 engine, based on your description.
So, assuming that my guess is correct:

> 1) I noticed a spark plug on the air intake manifold...if you follow the
> hose from the air fliter to the 'intake manifold,' there is a spark plug on
> the manifold. Is this a spark plug? What does it do?

Yes, it is a spark plug for the manifold heater. For cold-weather
starting, you press a switch on the dash to inject fuel into the air
intake manifold and ignite it.

> 2) Where are the spark plugs / glow plugs on this truck? I climbed all over
> it, and could not find any plugs, nor could I find any wires that looked
> like plug wires. Usually these are obvious.

The LDS-465 does not have glow plugs. Compression alone is enough to
ignite the fuel when the engine is cold, and the manifold heater
provides extra heat in cold weather.

I hope that helps!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/