Re: [MV] WWII Jeeps - History Channel

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 08:45:32 PDT

At 09:36 AM 7/18/00 EDT, RoughDoc@aol.com wrote:
>The requirements for a 1/4 ton vehicle were released in 1950. R&D funds
were
>released in that year. 1951 saw the first contract granted (to Ford Motor
>Company), with the first prototypes delivered in 1952.
>
>The vehicle was formally labeled the XM151 with the prototypes completed in
>1954. In 1956, new prototypes were again produced, with the XM151E1 being a
>conventional steel construction, and the XM151E2 being aluminum.
>
>In 1959, the E2 was adopted for production.
>
>The first production contract was awarded to Ford Motor Company in 1960, and
>the M151 was put into production!
>
>In 1964 the M151A1 was put into production with a new suspension.

Had a 1962 M151 with all the arctic stuff and what looked like the original
engine.
They were surplused en bloc in Alaska, and evidently shipped down to the
Pacific
Northwest by some salvage company. They still crop up from time-to-time,
and I've
personally come across four - all within the same range as my old beast,
2D-1753.

This is probably old hat, but the angle on the mounting brackets for the
rear suspension
on the 151 original model and the A1 model was different, and where the
original 151 rear
suspension had but a single rubber bump-stop to limit suspension travel,
the 151A1 had two.
The suspension arms are also supposed to be stronger on the A1 as opposed
to the
'straight' model, but I can't recall where I read that.

>In 1970 the M151A2 was put into production with modifications to the rear
>suspension, dual brake system, collapsible steering wheel, two speed wipers
>and modified lighting.

"Dual brake system"? Same master cyl on all variants, isn't it?

Andy Hill
Vancouver, B.C.