Re: [MV] M880 Info. wanted

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 10:28:40 PDT

Mark,
           It sounds like you're the guy who knows his way around the M880.
If I may I'd like to pick you're brain. If I may not, delete and thanks
anyway!
           If I may, let explain what I'm trying to do. I have a mule that
was upgraded by the Army for electric start and charging. I believe the
componets they used were from the M880. The M880 was the only vehicle in the
inventory that used the 12 volt system. My mule was pulled from a state junk
yard and is complete execpt for the starter soloniod and starter. A friend,
who is a NAPA parts guy, looked at the alternator and voltage regulator and
says it is definately Dodge. The battery used was a standard GI 12 volt. I
believe it was a 1HNS, or something like that(it was busted so I threw it
away). The voltage reg. was the flat type, approx 1 in. thick and 4x4in.
wide. It has a plug with red and green wires coming from the alternator,and
a ground wire.
           My main problem is that with the solonoid missing I need to know
how the wires hook to the solonoid. I've traced all the wires to see what
they hook to. Besides the large hot wire that runs in and out of the
solonoid and to the starter, I have two wires that I think go to the
solonoid. One is labled #6 with a large hole flat connector, that fits a
post. This wire comes from the on/off switch, the same switch that grounds
the magneto to kill engine. The switch has 6 wires that come out the back ,
but only 4 are used. When the wire leaves the switch it is marked #10. All
these #'s may not mean anything to any other vehicle. The other wire is
marked #14 and has smaller flat connector, it comes from the momentary
switch (same as the keyed ign. switch on a car). My questions are: What is
the proper solonoid to use (part #) and which of the small posts on the
solonoid does the wires hook to?
       I'm going to post this message to the list also, but I'm confident
you can tell me what I need to know (since you have a M886). I haven't
consulted any of my mechanic friends or found a Dodge wiring diagram. If it
would help I send you a hand drawn diagram of the wiring system on the mule.
My biggest concern is not destroying anything by hooking up something wrong.
In past yrs. I've drove a few Dodge trucks, but never had to work on any
(that was someone elses job). Many thanks to you and all that can
help!!!!!!!
Keith in TN.