24V COILS

From: John Bowen (oreuc@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 08:54:58 PDT

I'm curious whether anyone has had any bad experiences with the 24V
aftermarket coils currently available. They have a metal case and are, I
assume, an import.

I have checked two for low scale primary resistance and they measure 13.2
versus 4.26 - 4.9 the maintenance manuals specify. I don't know whether
that materially effects performance but I am having a problem with a truck
running for about 6 minutes then shutting down. After an extended period it
can be restarted, albeit a hard start. Pyroil starting fluid has been used
during cranking with no apparent effect so this appears to be a weak spark
problem (all other components in the distributor have also been replaced and
voltage to the distributor checked.)

J. D. Bowen