Re: [MV] 24V COILS

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 12:50:32 PDT

If that reading is accurate, it would definitely affect primary current which
would then affect secondary voltage. It sounds like you have a 12 volt coil
with an internal resistor. I think the 24 volt coil on my 5 ton truck is really
just a standard 12 volt coil that is normally used with an external resistor.
(Or a bad coil?) The primary resistance is in the 2-4 ohm range also. But
there is a large resistor built into the distributor with a heat sink that hangs
below the rotor housing that reduces the current through the windings so when
the points are closed so the coil doesn't burn up. It is important that enough
current flow through the primary coil to saturate the windings with magnetic
flux. If not enought current flows, the coil will not saturate and the
secondary HV output will be reduced.

Dave