RE: [MV] M151 question?

From: OConnor, Dennis (DOconnor@SIKORSKY.COM)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 07:45:23 PDT

> > I wanted to adapt an oil radiator to my M151-A2.....

> Make sure you use at least 12mm inside diameter hoses or you may
> reduce your oil pressure.....

        Using lines with too large an ID will also reduce oil pressure. Then
you have to refigure the oil capacity of the system and, depending on the
configuration for lines and mounting, worry about how much oil is hanging
around outside the oil pan where it really belongs.
        Dan, I agree that oil too hot (or too cold as Dave pointed out)
isn't good for an engine but I would first install an oil temperature gauge
to see if there is a problem before going to any sort of oil cooler rig. If
the oil temperature is within tolerance just leave it alone...."If it's not
broken don't fix it". I doubt you have a problem unless using the vehicle
well outside the design parameters. Also keep in mind that the regular
cooling system (water or antifreeze/coolant) will have an effect on oil
temperature and must in good working order before any oil temp reading can
be considered reliable.

More food for thought,
Dennis O'Connor