Re: [MV] Coils et al.

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 22:49:37 PDT

At 01:25 AM 7/25/00 +0100, Gavin Broad wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>I would like more information about these so-called Malaysian coils if
>anyone can supply it.
>
>Clearly, it is worth investigating a company that has started producing a
>unique coil for an obsolete vehicle. Being "next door", I can do that.
>
>The only non US-made coils that I am aware of are made in Taiwan by the
>Zodiac Corporation under whatever DOD contract was given to the
>Taiwanese. I am personally delighted with the performance of these coils,
>along with their lighting and electrical components and the Japanese
>suspension units, all contracted by the US DOD - just the same as the good
>old CJ3B-J4C.
>
>Just because it wasn't made in America, doesn't automatically confer
>inferior status on it and vice-versa.

Can't remember the source of the quote - came from Military Vehicles or
Supply Line - but someone was having an awful lot of trouble with the
coils procured for their M151. One of the dealers this fellow contacted
mentioned that "there are all sorts of problems with the offshore ones
that come in the white box (?) - blowing their tops and stuff.." I've
a fair stock of used ones I've scrounged from scrapped 151's, so I've never
had to deal with any of the offshore variety myself.

Andy Hill
Vancouver, B.C.